Monday, April 30, 2007

Free Cinema in Seoul

I just read in the Joong Ang daily that, as part of the 44th Daejong Film festival, there will be free outdoor screenings of movies for a whole month. Hosted by the Motion Picture Association of Korea and the Daejong film festival, 31 new movies submitted to the film festival will be shown at 7:30pm and 10:00pm daily but, sadly, with NO English subtitles.

I saw the huge screen being erected last night and I assumed it was part of the Hi Seoul festival, but it's another free event happening in the Hangang Park, starting May 1st with the Korean blockbuster 'The Host' at 10pm.

There are over 2,000 seats, but no advance reservations are possible, strictly first come first served. The website is Korean only, so take pot luck and see what film you end up with.

It's a three minute walk from Yeouinaru subway station on line 5. Exit 2. Bring warm clothing as it gets chilly out by the river in the evening.

It was only after I wrote this posting that I re-read the newspaper and I realised that it said NO English Subtitles. I don't think I would have bothered otherwise.

No comments: